Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rock Frostbite 2014 / 2015

Rock Frostbite 2014 / 2015 3 years 1 month ago #1221

• markstacey
  • Fresh Boarder
Some good racing between Blaze 762 Roger Williams and 654 Mark Stacey every race getting closer to beating Roger but not achieved quite yet but getting close! A rare picture of 654 in front but happy with the way the boat is going as its only my 4 outing in her!
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rock Frostbite 2014 / 2015 3 years 1 month ago #1225

• Stewart609
His mast looks like it has a bit of sideways bend - yours looks straight as a die. I wonder if this is significant?
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Stewart609.

Rock Frostbite 2014 / 2015 3 years 1 month ago #1228

• markstacey
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Stewart

Thanks for that, as I am completely new to Blaze sailing and my back ground in racing is in a multi hull is that a good thing or a bad thing in a Blaze and any tips on adjustment will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rock Frostbite 2014 / 2015 3 years 1 month ago #1229

• Stewart609
Well my background is a Laser 4000 which also has lower shrouds and one thing I learnt very early on is that you can make a rig too stiff. With the 4000 it meant the crew got out on the wire in lower wind speeds, which you'd think would make the boat faster in light winds, but no, it made it less responsive so a bit like driving a car in top gear at 15 mph - it just didn't accelerate!

So this rig tuning is important and my advice is check you are using the class norm which is a rake of about 7060m and very loose lowers. I think all the numbers are on the class website.

I've always felt that rake is a good thing for beating but in light winds you can really over do it. I started with a rake of 7070 and had the best speed in our fleet downwind. However some boats would come past me upwind especially if it was a full sitting out breeze, so I raked it back a whole hole and a half at the shrouds and I was better when it blew. But last time I was out the wind was not that strong and I'd forgotten that the rig was back quite a bit and I just was hopeless upwind.

Of course let's not forget that the amount you sit out and the shifts that you pick are more important.

Ask your competitor what rake he uses and subtly wiggle his lowers, then replicate that on your boat. When he's beating, look at where abouts he sheets his main and you do the same If he still has better performance than you its time to ask yourself if you are sitting out as hard and if you are catching the same shift as him.

Finally one other observation. A Blaze is not a pointy boat, when the gusts hit do not point higher and feather, its much more effective to sit out that bit harder, ease the main and try and get the boat to go faster instead.
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds