Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 10 months ago #1175

• Stewart609
Bart's Bash at Wilsonian SC

We had about 35 boats out for this event which we integrated into our Autumn Points Series by starting all the fleets together and all sailing the same course. Five of the boats were Blazes.

A mass start such as this is always exciting and I got away well. The few fast boats were soon gone but it was broad downwind for the first mile and so the Blazes were chased hard by spinnaker boats and much to my surprise a Pacer was only just behind me after about 5 minutes. As I was one of the leading boats this meant the Pacer was ahead of most of the fleet.

However the next leg was a beam reach and all the other boats were soon left behind by the Blazes. Blazes at Wilsonian are all pretty much a match for each other and so they were all around but I think I was third but close to the leaders. The next leg was tighter and I definitely had the legs of the others and led for a while but they came back on the next broad leg but the most serious challenger capsised on the next gybe and then again a tighter leg helped me back into the lead.

I was just beginning to visualise winning this race when I looked to leeward to see 2 Blazes getting back in front. I think my direct line to the next mark had taken me into lighter winds and the other two had sailed deep and into more wind and thus pulled ahead. Fortunately the next to last leg was a beat and I now have really good windward performance in a bit of a breeze. So I sheeted in and concentrated on not pinching, even so I sailed higher and faster than the other two and pulled out quite a lead for the start of the final short and fickle legs to the finish.

I felt a great sense of achievement having lost and regained the lead and pulled so comprehensively into a winning position. Only a few of the sparse Fast Fleet boats finished in front of me and the very well sailed Wayfarer was so far behind I had forgotten him. This was a long race - almost 2 hours of hard sailing with beats and some reaches in an over-powered condition - great in other words, but was I knackered.

Today the results were published and the Wayfarer just beat me on handicap. The Wayfarer helm is very good but I can't help feel his handicap is very advantageous. This was a course which suited the Blaze with some really fast long reaches and yet he wins. However the Blazes are lucky, we have ourselves to race and it was neck and neck up until that final beat. Four Blazes all finished within 90 seconds of each other after over 90 minutes of racing. One Blaze broke something and retired.

In the afternoon we had the usual handicap racing. The wind was lighter and although I reached the furthest mark first I made a few mistakes and just could not keep the boat going well in the very light and fickle winds at the end and got pipped by another Blaze, meaning I was 3rd Blaze from 4 and that damn Wayfarer was with me as we crossed the line. Again on handicap he won the race.

Bart's Bash was great, I like the excitement of a mass start of 30 plus boats, I loved the longer course, but was I knackered at the end of it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 10 months ago #1178

• Stewart609
Blazes in Close Combat on the Medway

If there are any Blazes in the South East who want close racing come and join us at Wilsonian Sailing Club.

Morning Race - this morning was for the Ladies, Juniors and Seniors to have their competition.

For the rest we have what is called a "Scratch Race". No trophy, no points series just a race for those that want one. It was dire, fog and very little wind from the east. The tide was running hard up river since I think it was Springs only a day or so before. I started and continued as nearly everybody else had given up. At one point I was sailing upwind just a boat length from a mark but unable to round it until I was able to pull up-tide of it enough to bear away around it. After a couple of minutes I made it but it was frustrating. The only other Blaze failed to start as he couldn’t get over the line.

The afternoon race was one of our Commodores Series. These are supposed to be longer, have a committee boat start and there are two courses one for the fast fleet and one for the rest. We didn't have the committee boat start but the club line was pretty square. Three Blazes, myself (609), John Hewat (732) and Matt (531), I guess the others thought the weather wasn't promising - they missed a great race, full of close encounters.

There were half a dozen 2000, a Buzz, a Streaker and the usual brace of Lasers and some other odds and sods. Most including Matt (531) elected to beat up the shallows, but John and I had realised that the wind had risen and the tidal flow decreased and that it might just be possible to lay the next mark from the line. We were almost completely powered up and with the tidal flow lee-bowing us we did more or less make it direct to the mark. John had to put a little starboard tack in just before the mark and I insisted he "hold course" whist I ducked around his stern and shot the mark.

We then headed for a tidal gate called "Myers" I'm not sure why the name but the tide really sluices around that corner. John was on my tail but I didn't want to luff as this might have taken me up under the island where although there was less tide there was also probably less wind. He didn't get over me and when we rounded the corner there was more wind and I was able to just point that little bit higher. I pulled away by about 50m on this next long leg, of about a mile to buoy 26, again it was a fetch.

Now a long beat and we held station until the next mark (buoy 23) where I tacked immediately to cross the flow and get into some shallows. John held on into the bay by the power station and then tacked. A mistake I thought and sure enough when John joined me on my side of the river my lead was now up to about a 100m.

A large ship was coming down the river and just a bit further to windward we would have to switch back to the north side of the river for the next mark. It would be fatal to be stuck on the south side whilst the ship went by. John lost his nerve before me and crossed. I managed to get a couple more short tacks in the shallows before I went. On the north side we had to tack against the tide and John, against what I thought was logic, gained.

Rounding the windward mark and reaching across the river John was better than me at switching to reaching mode and got within a couple of boat lengths. But rounding the next mark onto a run (to buoy MYA1) I managed to keep him behind me and then we reached/ran up the river with him only about a boat length behind. He explained later that he daren't take my wind and slow me because Matt was gaining behind so we went up river to 26 and then 27 before beating back down river to 25.

Being in the lead I had to be very careful but John could try risking more use of the shallows and he forced me to tack on one meeting, but I managed to get to 25 with him on my tail. It was now a long run back up river along Gillingham Reach. I drew away by about 50m and then at Myers we hardened up onto a reach, again John switched to this mode better than I did and made up the difference. Once going I was just as fast as him but it took me longer to settle down. A final run to a club buoy and a port rounding finished the race but on that run John pulled alongside. I retained the inside room as we gybed around the mark and because I can point (when required) I forced him off to leeward on the next beat up through the trots of boats. That was decisive, giving me a finish time 23 seconds better.

Close combat indeed, no time to let up and every decision and tack vital to get right. John was elated with the battle - I was exhausted. Matt was very close behind. The other boats seemed miles behind but when the results were calculated a 2000 won, I was 3rd and John was 5th. There was sufficient wind for a good race and I was certainly fully powered on most of the beats but there wasn't enough to get the Blazes really planing and so the other boats in the fleet came into the equation.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 10 months ago #1182

• Stewart609
Chart
It occurred to me that a map of our sailing area might be useful for those following my blog. Its attached and as you can see we sail on a tidal estuary. We go miles from base, race around a few of the navigation marks and back to base. It may not be the abstract and pure race of a windward/leeward miles out at sea but its one hell of a lot more interesting.

We have to deal with shallows, tides, other boats racing from other clubs, motor boats, fishermen, shipping, flat water and short chop. We also have to be a bit more self sufficient since we can be out of sight of safety boats. Its a proper man's world. Woops that's not politically correct and we do have some very keen women although non in Blazes. You can visit us sometime if you like - just let me know.

Capture.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Stewart609. Reason: still no picture so here's a jpg

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 10 months ago #1183

• Stewart609
Close Racing Blazes on the Medway

High Water Springs mid-afternoon. We had a short pursuit race in the morning to make room for a bumper long distance event in the afternoon. As the tide was high the course took us up all sorts of creeks we don’t normally risk, and to add spice to the mix it was a long distance race too. Six yes, that’s 6 Blazes out for the event. Readers of this report might like to refer to the chart I put in this blog a week or so ago.

The race started from a committee boat in Hoo Bay just to the east of the club. It was an easterly and so a windward mark was laid close to Hoo Marina. The slow fleet started a half hour before the medium and so by our start the wind had shifted. I realised the windward mark could be laid on port from the port end of the line but so did a couple of other people which meant we couldn't all get a good start. I came in on port and decided to duck a few starboard tackers, by the time I’d ducked them I was at the committee boat end and just managed to squeeze out onto the beat. I could still lay the windward mark and rounded first and bore away toward Hoo Ness and thence to 28. On my tail was Andy Pickrell (Blaze 587). It was a gusty reach and I had to work hard to keep him behind me but I did and from Hoo Ness fetched 28 leaving the rest of the fleet well behind and even pulling away from Andy.

Beating against the tide the next mark was SY3 (that’s up South Yantlet Creek), almost due east. Andy was holding high and I was going for speed. We went south of the beacon B3 and threw a tack in to stay in the shallows to the east of 24. Some boats had crossed the river and used the Hoo Island shore. Andy was aware of this, I wasn’t until I found other boats in view as we beat past SY4 and by SY3 two boats had caught me, Andy in 587 and Matt in 531. These and my boat (609) are the 3 red boats in the club and I was beginning to think this gave us extra speed. The wind was sufficient that we were fully powered up and maybe just spilling a bit and so excellent conditions for a Blaze – the rest of the medium fleet seemed miles behind.

The next mark was the RC buoy which stands for Rainham Creek. It was well out of sight and difficult to find with several small red buoys down to leeward and no slow fleet ahead that we could see, but we found it. If you look at the map just imagine the size of the sailing area. It was high water springs and so all the grey area on the map was navigable water with a depth of a couple of metres at least.

Rounding RC to port was the start of a long beat to Otterham Fairway. It was choppy, Matt was just to windward and Andy was to leeward but a few hundred metres in front. Looking over my shoulder was Martin Jones (634) and just behind him John Hewat (732). Somewhere behind them was John Tinnams (749). In the mix was the dreaded “well sailed” Wayfarer. This beat was tough, quite a chop and plenty of wind. No finesse required, just grunt and Martin has plenty of grunt and was gaining. I had a brief capsize whilst tacking and Martin was through and then John but I kept the Wayfarer behind until the next leg when up popped his kite and he was past. However the wind was now just getting to Blaze strength and by a bit of chasing the waves I got back ahead on our route south of Nor Marsh and through to Beacon 3. From there a short beat to 24 and then a blissful reach to H3 to the north of Hoo Island. That was a fast reach and although I made no impression on the Blazes in front I left the Wayfarer way behind. Followed by another short beat to H1 and then downhill up the river towards Wilsonian, some of it reaching and some of it dead downwind. On the dead downwind legs I was gaining on John Hewat by catching some good surfs and the Wayfarer was being left even further behind.

The Race Committee had laid a mark just up river of the club line which meant a short beat back to finish. As I ran down towards it Andy Pickrell had just out manoeuvred Matt Love at the mark and was half a boat length in the lead and that is how the race ended. The top 3 boats were within about 30 seconds of each other at the finish, John Hewat about another 30 seconds and myself another.

Quite a close result for a race which lasted about 140 minutes. I look forward to seeing the handicaps calculated in the hope that the Wayfarer didn’t get me, but I'm afraid there is no escape that out of 6 Blazes I came 5th. Such a shame since I had led for quite some time but then I take solace that I am about 20 years more senior than the others. I certainly showed them how to start and left most of them for dead on the first reach but upwind into a chop after about an hour racing does require a certain level of fitness which I’ll have to work on. You’d think they’d show me more respect, one of them even bummed the price of a drink in the bar after racing!

But what gives me great heart is that we had 6 boats out and that’s without Chris Saunders who is normally a regular. We all enjoyed the racing tremendously and this bodes well for the future.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 9 months ago #1186

• Stewart609
Blazes on the Medway 19th October

Close racing in the Blazes in quite windy weather. The Blaze copes well with wind in fact I find it hard to judge how windy it is. However clearly other classes do not feel the same and so there were very few out sailing and I guess the forecast even put off a few of our Blazes. We had 2 out out, Andy Pickrell (587) and myself (609). Of concern for the Blazes were only 2 other boats, a well sailed Laser and a Laser sailed by a youth who didn't quite make the Youth Squad but has certainly competed internationally.

In the first race Andy and I battled with me just beating him but on handicap the youth in the Laser beat us both. It was a similar story in the afternoon I was just ahead of Andy when within sight of the finish line I rolled it in to windward in a lull. Again both beaten by the youth in the Laser.

In both races only a minute separated the Blazes after a race of about an hour. So it was close but disappointing to have only the 2 of us to fight it out.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 9 months ago #1192

• Stewart609
Wilsonian SC FRostbite Series - 2 November

I anticipated strong winds, but what the hell the water is still warm this time of year. When I got there it wasn't so windy but it was gusty but I went out anyway.

So glad I did - there wasn't much competition except a well sailed Laser which at first was able to keep up but I reckoned if I stayed upright I'd have him and sure enough I pulled away down wind and on the beat back pulled out a bit more to win the Medium Fleet. However not too far behind was Matt (Blaze 531) who had obviously started late and was gradually making ground as he tends to when the wind is up.

John Tinnams (Blaze 749) turned up for the afternoon and so there were 3. I just didn't get the start right and Matt was in front, however I passed him on the long run down the river but didn't gybe at the next mark and he did. By the time I realised he was on the more favourable gybe he was level, but I do have more dead down wind speed than him and got back in front by the leeward mark, but only just.

It was probably bad tactics to split from him but I felt it was only time and he'd be back in front so I tacked away to get a lift and possible advantage from the current. It didn't work and he was in front when we crossed. I tried again to split and drive the boat hard and we came together again with him barely in front. Unfortunately I was forced onto port tack by another boat (from another class) and when I came back I was behind Matt. In the gusty conditions there were times when I got almost level but not enough to stop him from finishing just in front. To rub my nose in it when the handicaps were calculated that well sailed Laser came 2nd making me third in the Medium Fleet.

I'm off on holiday now for a couple of weeks and probably the weather will be too cold when I return so that may be the last sail of the season. Great sailing though, plenty of wind, no capsises and close competition.

Its taken 2 years but I now really feel confident in the Blaze even when its blowing old boots. Its such a stable and forgiving boat - I know I'll always get back. I like too how she goes to windward. I've learnt not to stuff her but keep her planing. I like the way I can point if I want to but if I just drive that little bit harder the bow lifts up and the speed rises. I also love the speed when you just sail a bit lower still, on that point (a fetch) you can actually match the speed of boats in our fast handicap fleet.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 9 months ago #1193

• Stewart609
More good news from Wilsonian SC.

Ian Foxwell is joining us in Blaze 807. That takes the fleet up to 11 boats. Occasionally we've had 6 out racing and so next year its going to be 7.

We are on a roll at Wilsonian, very close racing with the lead often changing as it did this last weekend and generally Blazes finishing within a half minute of each other after 90 minutes.

I know I keep banging but the Medway is a fascinating place to race, with all sorts of challenges. I have to say blasting over waves in wild weather and miles from human habitation is a spiritual experience. Add the competition of a Blaze close behind and maybe one you are trying to catch in front and its a heady mix which draws you back every weekend. I really don't think inland can match it and those that sail on the open sea with their windward/leeward courses are missing something special too.

I invite you to come and try it, let me know but bring your boat and join in one Sunday - it will cost you nothing and you will gain much.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 9 months ago #1194

• Stewart609
Light Winds - Sunday 9th Nov - Could Do Better!

Only 2 Blazes for the morning race and although I got away nicely John Tinnams soon came past. He has a knack in the light stuff whereas I try too hard and I know it slows me down. I can't get comfortable but it just doesn't worry John he kneels in the middle of the boat and point it in the right direction. Anyway he got away from me and I just couldn't get back. I know he was worried I might on the beat back and I thought I might but as it was downwind against the tide and upwind with the tide the beat was very short and I just could not make an impression.

Four Blazes for the afternoon and I got away nicely again and again the others gradually caught and overtook. I just didn't have much speed, couldn't get comfortable and couldn't settle. I don't know how they do it, all my tell-tles are streaming nicely and their's are all stalled and yet they leave me.

The tide was turning and so it was difficult to get that right - and I didn't. Coming back to the club Ian Foxwell was out in his new Blaze (Blaze 807) and just to rub salt in the wound he sailed right under and through me. My boat used to be fast in the light stuff certainly down-wind but not any more. And then it dawned on me; my mast rake was way back because the previous week I had been experimenting and it was windy.

So next time all is not lost, but next time may not be until next spring!

We have 11 boats in the fleet now and there were 4 racing and a fifth out - the future is bright.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 8 months ago #1195

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
As Stewart wasn't around I'll update the log for him this week.

In brief cold, very wet, miserable and not a lot of wind so we did well to get 4 Blazes on the water to mix it with the regulars in the medium handicap fleet.

I went out for a play one hour before the start as I was only able to sail in the morning, and there was 10-14 knots and a bit of chop, so it looked as though it would be fun mornings race.

As it turned out the wind dropped into single figures and thus the temperature and constant rain made itself felt more.

We started with a run to the first mark which bought with it the first decision of the day, in the tide but also in a bit more wind, or out of the tide. It was touch and go all the way there but in the end those that stayed in the wind won through, with Ian (807) rounding first, with Matt(531), John T(749) and John H(732) 30 seconds behind.

We then had a very broad reach down river with the next decision coming half way along, when to cut across the tide to get to mark 2. This proved the be a decisive point of the race as Ian (807) and a well sailed Laser got the jump on the fleet and managed to pull a gap.

From here it was a short beat across river to mark 3, a reach back across river to mark 4 then a fetch/beat to the furthest mark of the course (buoy 23). Then it was just a matter of getting back. The beat proved tricky in the shifty wind and poring rain as it was very hard to read the wind or sails but in the end not a lot changed at the front.

Ian (807) won comfortably with Matt (531) coming home second and the two Johns battling for third right to the line.

In the afternoon both Ian and John H had to go but Matt and John T took to the water again but from were I stood it looked like a bit of a slog. With the wind getting lighter and the tide now flooding out just finishing was hard work but by the line John T(749) beating Matt (531) over the line.

So a good day was had even if the conditions were miserable.

Ian

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 8 months ago #1199

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
Sunday 30th Light to moderate winds

Pretty good days sailing all things considered. No rain, warm for the time of year, even a bit of sunshine in the afternoon!

As last week we had the same 4 Blazes on the water in the morning, although John H tried his Fire sail so technically wasn’t a Blaze, and 3 in the afternoon as I had to look after our daughter again. They set a fairly straightforward course down river with the last of the tide with the corresponding long beat back against it.

Once again it was a running start and the fleet stayed pretty well together all the way down. Matt (531) went very deep to catch the tide and wind, John H(732) and John T(749) took the rhumb line and Ian (807) played the middle ground. In the end Ian won through but that was due to a lucky gust at the end that took him past Matt who was looking good until 10 boat lengths from the mark. The 2 johns got tangled up in the rest of the handicap fleet but weren’t far behind.

It was then a short reach across the tide which allowed the light weight Ian to stretch a small lead on the not so light weight Matt. A lead he was able to hold all the way back to take line honors. Back at the leeward Mark John T(749) hit the buoy and had to do a turn which let John H(732) in his Fire get through (It might be a smaller sail but he wasn’t hanging around!!) In the end though John T made it back past and beat the Fire to the line, even if he lost out on handicap.

In the afternoon, with a bit more breeze, John T showed the fleet the way around but It was a really close race. John H’s Fire lost out this time on the run but reeled them all back in on the beat and in the end, although John T lead the whole way round, he didn’t lead the last 6ft to the line with Matt taking the win. But in the end all three boats finished within 35 seconds which meant that John H won the race on handicap.

So another good days sailing on the Medway, what happened to the rest of you?

Ian (807)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stewart609

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 8 months ago #1203

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
2 deg!! but Sunny with a SW 10-12 in the morning rising to a 10-20 SSW in the afternoon

What a great days sailing. The same 4 winter Blaze sailors were back out on the water plus the usual mix of Streakers and Lasers to get in the way at the start.

The mornings race was fairly short with a reach followed by a fetch/beat up and down river a couple of times. Ian(807) lead the way with John H (732) and his Fire sail close behind. John T (749) almost missed the start although starting in shore (he didn’t have time to get out into the river before the gun) almost paid off and Matt (531) really did miss the start, crossing the line a couple of minutes after the start.

A fairly uneventful but rewarding sail was to follow with Matt working his way through the fleet to finish 2nd to Ian with the two johns close behind.

By the afternoon the wind had picked up a notch... And although it wasn’t that strong the gusts hit hard and would punish the unwary.

A longer course was set with a short’ish beat followed by a long reach down river to get things started. Ian again lead the way only to bin it on the jibe as the fleet turned the corner to run down to the leeward mark. Matt was next round but he had problems with his main sheet and so couldn’t fully capitalize on the oportunity so with John T managing to get down river without jibing and John H making use of the easier to manage Fire sail the fleet rounded the leeward mark line astern.

Matt lead the charge home with John T just behind him, then John H who was looking good on handicap and finally Ian hot on his heals. The fleet was covered by no more than 20 seconds at this point. They stayed close all the way up the beat although Ian did work his way through to the front but things spread out once they turned the corner for the reach home with Ian extending his advantage on Matt and although John H dropped back suffering with his lack of sail area he still finished 2nd on handicap.

So a great sail was had by all. Just one more race to go now before the Christmas break but the weather will have to be truly exceptional for the time of year, for it to be a better day on the water than this one.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 7 months ago #1212

• Stewart609
Final Race on the Medway 2014 - I was officiating.

Not much of a race actually. A few 2000s, a Laser and 3 Blazes (although one of the Blazes used his Fire sail - so not really a Blaze anyway).

Cold grey and a light to medium south westerly and an off-wind start taking the fleet down the river against the incoming tide. Ian Foxwell (Blaze 807) decided more wind was worth having even if it meant more adverse tide. He was so right, the other two got luffed into wind shadows by the 2000s and Ian was 200m in the lead after 200m for the rest of the fleet.

Apparently Ian managed to capsise at the leeward mark (well out of my sight) but with a lead like that it was of no consequence and when I next saw him he had pulled out even more and finished several minutes ahead of everybody else.

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 7 months ago #1220

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
So the first race of 2015 is over and it was another good day for the Blazes.

Only 11 boats took part in the new year's day race but 4 of them were Blazes, with Andy Pickrell (587) joining the winter regulars of John T(749), matt(531) and Ian(807)

A fairly simple lapping course was set so that all those that couldn't face the cold could watch the action.

It turned out to be a perfect Blaze course with lots of short fetch's and reaches although the wind was hard work. Basically fairly light 10-12knts but with gusts of around 20 and huge holes sand shifts to contend with

At the gun the Alto shot off with its kite followed by the 4 blazes line astern. Matt(531) made the best of it closely followed by Andy, Ian and john.
Halfway up the first beat Ian fell into windward leaving just three, then on the reach over to the furthest mark for the first time Andy P got in front of Matt and on the run back to the club pulled out a bit of a lead. Just before the line John T fell into windward in another of the holes letting Ian through into third.

Things stayed pretty much the same for lap 2 but by lap 3 ian was making inroads. passing Matt at the beginning of the lap and then just sneaking Past Andy on the final reach to the line to take over as lead Blaze.

In the end with the 4 Blazes pushing each other the whole way around they wound up 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall on handicap as well... lets hope its the start of a good year.

Ian
(807)

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 5 months ago #1238

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
22.02.15 Wilsonians sailing Club. F2-4 in the morning and sunny. F1-5 in the afternoon and cooolldd

We had the first two races of the Wilsonian warm up series this weekend and it wasn’t two bad in the end.The forecast was miserable, 25-40, rain and freezing cold so let’s hope that’s why attendances were down, but in the end 7 boats took to the water for race 1, including two blazes, in what were fairly light, sunny conditions. I say fairly light because although the average wind speed was less than 10mph the gusts hit hard and from any direction so it was to be a hard days sailing.

The Blaze race started off very tight with John (732) and Ian (807) trading places the hole way around the first lap. Unlike the normal out and return courses we have at Wilsonians the warm up series is conducted on the bit of water in front of the club so wind's up being a lapping course. This unfortunately is the worst piece of water we have, especially with the wind coming from the SW as it was today, with the houses on St Mary’s Island creating all manner of turbulence for the sailors to contend with.

By lap two Ian and pulled a small lead and managed to extend this to the finish.

In the afternoon the sun had gone in, the wind had gone up notch and the gusts were proper bullets trying to knock the unwary flat.John (732) switched to his Fire sail and tore off at the start, holding a slender lead down the first reach and beat. On the run Ian (807) snuck past and again started to pull a small lead. On lap 3 John had a dunking to windward in one of the many holes that although not tipping him right over put him in the water while he was still at speed, and he wound up getting washed off the back of the boat.

Now very cold and wet he decided to call it a day and fortunately the race officer took pity on everyone and kept the race to just 4 laps so Ian didn’t have to do much more before he could go in himself.

So a good all be it blustery start to the series. The good news is that it won’t get any worse... because if it does I for one won’t be going out.

Ian (807)

Wilsonian Sailing Club - Blaze Blog 3 years 5 months ago #1239

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
Heres some on board footage from the morning race

(in case the link doesnt work you can find it here )

and here is our film of the mornings race

(in case the link doesnt work you can find it here )

Ian
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by ifoxwell.
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds