Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Resurfacing, and Fire

Resurfacing, and Fire 1 year 6 months ago #1294

• ColH107
  • Fresh Boarder
So, I'm aiming to get back into my Blaze this year - sailed much 01-06, but not since.
I've been trying to read up on the latest thinking on rigging etc, and have a few questions I'd like to put up here - all feedback gratefully received.
I think I'll be mostly using a Fire sail (new one on order), being 65kg. Maybe the full rig in light stuff, but I'll first need to get the rodent damage repaired (grrrrr!).

1. How active are these forums? I'm an avid Facebook hater....
  2. *** Are there any Fire sailors out there *** - by which I mean especially people using it for normal conditions, as opposed to those switching to it in strong winds. Basically keen to find out if there's any rigging/tuning tips which differ to those for the full sail. e.g. keeping it max powered.
  3. How's the Fire PY going to pan out? I wonder if it's going to take a hammering because it's mostly used by 'normal' Blaze sailors when the wind gets up, and therefore it's number isn't going to reflect use by lighter helms across an average of wind strengths?
  4. Slack rigging - how slack?
  5. I still have the old kicker strut arrangement. I've read Mike's article about conversion, but wondered if anyone could advise on the suitable cascade length?
Cheers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Resurfacing, and Fire 1 year 6 months ago #1295

• paulsailing
  • CA Secretary 751
Hi Colin,
I am a regular Fire sailor, there's not much you need to do differently to the Blaze. You can rig the mast a little more upright around 7100 and you can tighten up the rig a little.
The kicker is mounted via the webbing strop on the boom to the tang on the base of the mast. Just keep experimenting until you feel happy with things.

The RYA has yet to give the Fire a PN number, it is generally being sailed off 1061 with the Great Lakes Handicap at 1050 (pretty harsh).

Come along to Burghfield on 1st- 2nd April, there will be plenty of help there to get you going quicker.

The Web forum get very little use now, I appreciate your dislike of Facebook, but the Blaze Sailing Group is proving to be popular as a means of communication between Blaze sailors
regards
Paul

Resurfacing, and Fire 1 year 6 months ago #1296

• ColH107
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the feedback, Paul.
"tighten up the rig a little" - could you suggest a starting point on the tension? Does tension in the lowers help keep power on, or is the rest of the standing rigging still slack enough that these don't have much effect anyway?

Resurfacing, and Fire 1 year 6 months ago #1297

• paulsailing
  • CA Secretary 751
Colin,
I haven't sailed with an M7 for a while, so to be on the safe side make sure that the rig isn't so slack there is a risk of the mast jumping out of the step. I don't think you would get a reading from a tension gauge. It's difficult to suggest, a start point, so have the rig a little loose, get out onto the water and play around with the settings. Blaze sailing is not a science it's just a matter of finding what suits you best and sticking with it.
Paul

Resurfacing, and Fire 1 year 6 months ago #1298

• paulsailing
  • CA Secretary 751
Didn't mention the lowers, they should tight in light winds and then slacken them off as the wind builds until you have around 2" of movement either way. Hope this helps
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds