Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I can't point !!

I can't point !! 3 years 5 months ago #1155

• kevbutler
I am pulling my hair our now as I have spent all season trying to get my boat up to speed,I have the rake to the settings from the guide I have a adjustable f/stay which I have tried in all tensions. My problem is I just cannot point and when I crack off abit up wind I sail fast but end up miles behind the rest of the fleet.I am 70kgs and I have sailed many years and many single handers and never had this problem, is there anyone that can help as I really want to do the open circuit next year and would like to be on the pace, I love my boat but hate being last at the club.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I can't point !! 3 years 5 months ago #1156

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
Dear Kev

What sort of water do you sail on?

Myles

I can't point !! 3 years 5 months ago #1157

• kevbutler
Hi Myles,
I sail in the open sea at Thorpe bay in the Thames estuary, short chop when windy not much tide rarely flat water. what am I doing wrong?

Kev.

I can't point !! 3 years 5 months ago #1158

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Similar conditions to the Western Solent by the sound of it which is what I splash around in.

My first thought is are you getting your boom near enough to the centreline of the boat? I am about the same weight as you @ 68kg and this is a critical adjustment: too far in and you point like a good'un but go like a drain, too far out and you go like a rocket but sail too far.

Do you have a carbon rig? My rake is currently 7040 which is good in a breeze but I suffer poor pointing if the wind drops off - say sub 13kts. Below 13kts I rake more upright to 7050 and even 7060 if sailing inland.

Is your sail new? I put a new one on at the Nationals and pointed really badly: it was very full and max camber was well forward. I had to bend the mast a good deal more than usual to get it to set. Having given it a thrashing in the last three months it is setting much better with max camber further aft and has also flattened off a lot.

Let me know what you think.

Myles

I can't point !! 3 years 5 months ago #1159

• kevbutler
Hi mate, thanks for the swift reply,
my sail is ok but not new I think the batten tension is about right, I have a f/stay tensioner which is adjustable which I have fitted (I'm a rigger so test loads a of ideas) it is adjustable when sailing and the rake one one setting 7.050 but when it gets abit lighter say 13 knots I have been pulling it on a bit which makes the rig more upright and it tensions the shrouds to around 15 on the loos guage ,my boom normally sits around the same place as the laser around the 1/4 of the hull not the rack. the sail looks a lot better with a bit of tension and all the woollies are working where as with the rig back to 7050 which is loose shrouds the top doesn't seem to come into play as much. I am sheeting from the boom with aft sheeting system and without a cleat I find it seem to wander when I am playing waves etc.

Sorry to bore you to tears,but thank you for any help, will be worth a beer when we meet next season.
Kev.
(Kevin Butler On facebook)

I can't point !! 3 years 5 months ago #1160

• kevbutler
PS not a carbon rig
K.

I can't point !! 3 years 5 months ago #1161

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
OK not a carbon rig. You can find the measurements that I used to use for the tin mast under Info.

I spent a lot of time getting the stops in the traveller in the correct position and I suggest you continue to experiment in that area. I have centre sheeting and so my distances are of no use to you otherwise I would let you have them.

By the by it is essential with the tin mast to trim your spreaders otherwise you will struggle in a blow.

Not sure I have been much help . . . Come to the Inlands and we can look at your boat.
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds