Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Carbon mast settings for lightweights

Carbon mast settings for lightweights 4 years 7 months ago #1019

• simon
  • Senior Boarder
Copy of a discussion started on the Yahoo Forum

Hi Myles

It was somewhat gusty at BSC yesterday but no where near as bad as you experienced. An epic journey especially to find out the race had been canned.

I have the opposite conundrum to you in that I have sorted out the rig tension but have still to sort out lowers. Although I have set my lowers up so that I can adjust them between races I don't think my slack setting is loose enough and I also need to let them go at a lower wind strength than I currently do. Whilst out practicing with Mike sailing the Halo rig on Saturday on releasing the lowers the boat started to point much better as the wind strengthened. My rig is tighter than for the M7 but no where near as tight as the rest of the carbon masts. This is all lightweight stuff as I am sub 70kg.

Simon

On 20 Oct 2013, at 18:50, <myles_mence@...> wrote:

Managed to get out today in spite of the forecast. First time out since the Inlands and keen to try some new settings on the wind in a breeze. Fairly satisfied now I have the lowers setting correct for the new mast (for a lightweight) which leaves rig tension to play with.

Ended up with nearly all the (tight) tension off the rig and not enough to register on the Loos gauge. This felt fast and sweet, but important to pull it on again if the wind should moderate. I have been about 15 on the gauge in the light stuff and adjusting down as the wind increases.

It was windy today, by the time I got to Lymington it was gusting 30kts and no one on the committee boat and so the race had obviously been canned. Turned round and a good leg stretch beat back to Yarmouth; really enjoyable. Myles
Simon aka "Andy the dancing farmer" Blaze 800
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Carbon mast settings for lightweights 3 years 5 months ago #1196

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Not sure I follow a lot of this? probably because I missed out on the whole conversation

But as some one returning to the class after a few years away, and new to the carbon rig, what sort of shroud tension are people running.

Ian

Carbon mast settings for lightweights 3 years 5 months ago #1197

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
Not sure I follow that piece myself and I wrote it.

Base settings for carbon rig:

Distance from front of mast foot to forestay fitting: 1040mm

Mast rake: 7060mm ish if light to 7020mm ish if the breeze is up but depends on your fancy, where you sail etc.

Spreader rake: deflection on mine is 163mm measured to the back of the mast track. I weigh 68kg. Heavier guys move their spreaders forward - a lot. No one shortens their spreaders.

Shroud tension: 15 on the Loos gauge no matter what you weigh. I then start to ease tension above 13 - 14 kts to say about 10. Then ease further as the wind increases to 5. But I am light and those over 11.5 stone seem to be able to manage the rig without easing tension.

Lowers: tighter than for the old tin rig. How tight depends to a certain extent on the age of your sail. If a new sail you will need some slack to get all the telltales to lift at the same time. If the sail is a couple of seasons old you will probably want the lowers tight. Heavy weights have their lowers tight full stop.

Hope this helps, come back if you have questions. Do you know the class has a chatter net on facebook?

Carbon mast settings for lightweights 3 years 5 months ago #1198

• ifoxwell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks Myles

I played around at the weekend, checked the rake and tightened the tension as you suggest and it felt good. I haven't looked at the spreaders yet and if I learnt anything its that the lowers are now more sensitive, so that clearly needs some experimenting with but all things considered it was a step in teh right dierction.

Ian 807
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds