Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Calling all Blaze Lightweights

Calling all Blaze Lightweights 5 years 10 months ago #564

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
The settings I detail below have given me good pace against heavyweights at the last two meetings - Warsash and the Nationals - when winds have at times been well above 20 knots.

On the scales in my shreddies I weigh 68kg.

Mast rake: 7m 70cm
Heel of mast to forestay fitting: 1045mm
Spreader length (inside of shroud to nearest point on mast): 305mm
Spreader deflection: 110mm
Rig tension: 69cm*
Lowers pretty slack (I haven't worked out a way of measuring their tension yet!).

*To measure rig tension: with a tape measure - measure from chainplate at deck level 35cm up a shroud, mark with a piece of tape. Then with your tape measure, measure from nearest point on mast just above gooseneck to the mark on the shroud pulling the shroud away as hard as you can, rather like drawing a bow and arrow. Record the measurement which will be in the region of 65 - 70cm. This is your rig tension and you will find this method surprisingly accurate.

Some sailing technique notes for lightweights:

1. As the wind drops you will need to increase rig tension to about 67cm or you will not point. Ditto your lowers.

2. In strong winds you will not point as high as heavyweights and so don't try to. Sail low and fast.

3. The prevailing authodoxy amongst the fleet is to sail with a very full foot. On the wind in strong winds this creates too much power for the lightweight and you will need to stretch the foot out - but not tight - a certain amount of flow will help over waves.

Off the wind if you can reach the control blow the clew off, if not leave it alone.

4. As the wind increases and on the wind lift the centreplate up about 15%, this reduces excess lift and improves the balance of the boat (as increasing wind moves the centre of effort aft in the rig).If it is blowing I lock my plate in this position throughout the race and leave it alone.

5. Pull the cunningham on until you burst an eye and then pull it harder, this will get the roach to feather away. Let it off downwind.

6. Kicker: in heavy weather and on the wind - masses. Progressively let it off downwind as the course goes deeper. On the run let it off until the roach starts to go forward, some twist is good.

Good racing!

Myles
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Calling all Blaze Lightweights 5 years 10 months ago #565

• Cirrus
  • Expert Boarder
Myles

I think you mean 7070mm not 7700mm for mast rake !

Mike L.

Re: Calling all Blaze Lightweights 5 years 10 months ago #566

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
My mistake - thanks so much - much happier with feet and inches. Even Napoleon said he found the metric system confusing and he authorised it for heaven's sake!

Re: Calling all Blaze Lightweights 5 years 10 months ago #568

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Myles

Nice write up even if it doesn't apply to me at 100kg. Do you mean 70mm not cm for the shroud deflection?

Re: Calling all Blaze Lightweights 5 years 10 months ago #569

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Dear Kev

No I have got that right - shroud deflection/rig tension in cm - but thanks for questioning I am quite capable of getting the units wrong (again)!

A quick whip round the fleet with a tape measure last autumn at Bala and random selections this season gives 67cm as a mean across the weight range. 65cm Would seem to be too tight and 70cm in my experience is sweet but risks not pointing.

One should bear in mind that the effect of very slack rigging is similar to that of shortening the spreaders and to a certain extent raking them as well. Therefore when one goes around measuring the fleet and everyones' rig tension is different and yet performance similar it is reflecting the fact that people's spreader settings are different.

Yours

Myles

Re: Calling all Blaze Lightweights 5 years 10 months ago #570

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
You're absolutely right Myles, that'll teach me for reading late at night on a mobile phone screen. I was thinking that your were measuring deflection each side of where the shroud rests (in mm) not the deflection from the mast.
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds