Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Swinging Spreaders

Swinging Spreaders 5 years 10 months ago #558

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Is the swinging spreader mod worth it?

What/how does it make an improvement (for someone who knows nothing about rig setup.

Just how much metal do you cut off of the ends?

Cheers,
Kev
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Swinging Spreaders 5 years 10 months ago #560

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
The purpose is to allow the boom to go out further on the run. Leave a 10mm protrusion to catch the bolt and limit swing. Myles

Re: Swinging Spreaders 5 years 10 months ago #562

• Cirrus
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
.. another way of thinking about it is that you can have more 'raked' spreaders going upwind to induce more bend in the mast mid-section and still have the leeward shroud / spreader way forward off wind allowing the sail/boom out further. 'Cake and eat it' stuff really. You need/want to allow more bend in the M7 mast as it is a stiff old b*****d really and for most of us you want to get it to react more readily and/or take on more curve upwind - this mod certainly helps a little.

Many classes have masts that are on the soft side imho and they constantly look for ways to stiffen them up to improve performance. We don't ... we are looking to get it to be more reactive (bendy)for much of the time. I prefer it this way round myself btw.

Mike L.

Re: Swinging Spreaders 5 years 10 months ago #571

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Cheers guys. I suppose if I cut up to the extents of the most forward bolt hole then that should mean I won't be taking too much off.

Is there any guidance on how far out the spreaders should be set. I think mine were bolted so that the spreaders were on the second most inner position but I can't see anything in the tuning guide about whether this right or wrong. Or do you just use them as another means of taking up the slack as the shrouds stretch?

Swinging Spreaders 4 years 2 months ago #1073

• Blaze_705
  • Fresh Boarder
Guys I am interested in carrying out ths mod.
I get the bit about the 10mm finger leave remaining, how much metal do you actually remove, looks like 8 to 10mm wide. Dave 705
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds