Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moving the mast forward

Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #321

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
I've decided that next weekend I'm going to do some jobs to try and improve my setup instead of going sailing and one of them is moving the mast forwards to 1040mm.

I need to re-measure but I'm 99% sure that I won't get it that far forward if I leave the mounting plate where it is and drill bolt holes further forward so it looks like I'll probably have to move the mounting plate.

Is it just attached with self tapping screws or are there captive nuts or something similar?

Is the foredeck strong enough for moving the mounting forward or are there areas to avoid?

Do you seal the mounting with silicone sealant or similar to stop water ingress?

Cheers,
Kev
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #333

• rumz653
  • Fresh Boarder
  • the rookie
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Kev, I moved mine forward in the cold and rain sunday (Mk1 653) Didn't want to move plate and didn't want to drill to close to front(10mm away) achieved 1050mm, if you do move it or anything on boat always re-seal screws when putting back, worth cleaning area to.

Ian

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #336

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Ian,

Have you had a chance to sail it since moving it? I was wondering how much material to leave between the bolt hole and the end of the foot. I think a rule of thumb is 1.5xdiameter of the bolt but I can't remember what size the bolt is so 10mm probably isn't far off.

Did you find it necessary to take the mounting off of the boat to drill the holes?

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #338

• mattb
  • Junior Boarder
Hi guys. Don't want to be a killjoy but under rule 5.5 the deck mounting for the mast can't be moved. You would be outside of class rules and be unable to fleet race. Also the foredeck support probably doesnt come much farther forward so you may end up with a big hole in the boat. You should get the range of movement reqd with forestay adjustment and poss moving the mast foot in the existing track.

Matt

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #339

• rumz653
  • Fresh Boarder
  • the rookie
  • Thank you received: 1
Didn't take plate off but only just got bolt back in as you can't quite drill straight/square (my drill is pretty compact) didn't get to sail it as was on my own at club and wont get a chance to till April!! not happy!!

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #340

I drilled new holes as far forward as possible which in conjunction with the rake sorted out my windward performance. Seem to recall it wasn't quite 1040mm but it made a huge difference anyway.

Mike
Blaze 757
Icon 04

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #342

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the advice Mike and Matt. Definitely won't be moving the mast mounting then.

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #358

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
The deed has been done and initial tests on a light wind day last Sunday seem positive and I got to something like 1045-1050mm. However, there could be a problem.

I was reading the rules tonight as I was thinking of changing the continuous lines for the centreboard and outhaul. I think by moving the mast as far forward in the step as I was happy to do regarding the positioning of the bolt to the front face but in doing so may have breached rule 5.10, I will need to check at the weekend and replace the mast step if I ever come to a blaze event.

Can someone explain to me the logic in this rule when the rules acknowledge that different boats have different mast steps and thus different mast positioning and everyone including the class builder advises moving the mast forward as close to 1040mm from the centre of the forward mast stay fitting on the deck? Surely if there is going to be any measurement governing the positioning of the mast to ensure equality across the fleet then it should be from a point which has not changed with variance of builders or suppliers such as the forward mast stay fitting or the bow.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Kev M.

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #364

Blimey - I never read the small print before modifying my mast step. I've since sailed at many open meetings although never been sufficiently prominent in the ranks to provoke interest in my boat setup.

It seems the need to adjust early mast steps is not uncommon - would anyone with knowledge of the rules care to comment?

Mike
Blaze 757
Icon 04
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Bellingforth. Reason: spooling mistuk

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 5 months ago #368

• paulsailing
  • CA Secretary 751
Rule 5:10 is quite clear, whilst the mast can be relocated in the step, the step cannot be moved - Rule 5:10. The step can be replaced of course but must be located in the original position.

Re: Moving the mast forward 6 years 4 months ago #372

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Paul, I don't think anyone is questioning that part of rule 5.10 only the logic in limiting a mast's position relative to an object which is known to be different specs on different boats rather than from a fixed common point on all boats.
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds