Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Setting mast rake

Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #246

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
I decided to check the mast rake on my Blaze this afternoon with reference to the setup document on the website. I pulled the tension on as hard as I could and the best I could do was about 7015mm.

Here's a pic of the tensioner, if I could make the loop a bit smaller I could probably pull it down a bit tighter but how does the gap look to you?

IMG_00000029 by Kev "The Prince of Darkroom", on Flickr

There are 3 things I can think that might be the problem.

1) The cable has stretch.
2) The mast is bent backwards.
3) The previous owner told there was a modification to move the mast forward and perhaps that's when the measurements in the setup guide were taken.

IMG_00000030 by Kev "The Prince of Darkroom", on Flickr

The distance from the front of the mast to the forward shroud attachment point on the deck is 1090mm.

What do you think is the most likely problem.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #247

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
Kev

I'm not clear about the problem but at a guess you may setting up your rigging too tight and hence why you are running out of adjustment on the forestay.

Use Mike's measurements to set your mast rake. Then do not have your rigging tight, the Blaze goes best with slack rigging. How slack? My method to judge shroud tension is as follows:

With one hand hold the end of a tape-measure against the mast just above the gooseneck. With your other hand pull the tape towards one or other of the shrouds keeping the tape horizontal. Still holding the tape pull the shroud away from the mast as hard as you can whilst measuring the distance between mast and shroud, this should be about 67cm. Less than 65cm I find too tight.

NB. Your lowers should be attached before doing this exercise otherwise you will get inconsistent readings.

Your shrouds will now perhaps seem very slack but that's how we all go sailing!

Your mast appears to be in a reasonable position in the mast step and if your mast is bent that will become apparent if you sight up it.

Hope this is of use.

Myles
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kev M

Re: Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #248

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Myles,

I'm pretty sure my shrouds are tensioned correctly but I'll double check them and the mast straightness tomorrow, providing I don't get snowed in!

I'm pretty sure there was nothing physically stopping me pulling the mast up further except for not being able to close the gap any further with the tensioner. I might try and measure the forward cable tomorrow to see if it might have stretched if I can find out what the length of a new one is.

Re: Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #249

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Kev

If you find you don't in fact have enough adjustment on your forestay and yet it is in good condition it may not be necessary to buy a new one.

Take off the cleat and block and put them in your parts bin. Simply use a line between the two shackles as a lanyard for tension ie run it through two or three times and tie it off. Why have the weight of cleat and block there anyway?

Should you want to buy a new forestay Cirrus can supply.

Myles

Re: Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #250

• paulsailing
  • CA Secretary 751
The Mk3 masts are set up at 1040mm from the face of the mast to the forestay mounting, so you can afford to move yours forward. Personally, I would get rid of the Topper cleat and replace it with a chain plate - the one with two sets of holes. That should give you a consistent set up. It the forestay is too short, then you can use D12 to bridge the gap or buy a new one (suggest you measure up first). Once you have done that, then re-check your rake, your current measurement is not far off. Good luck Paul T.

Re: Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #253

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
I'm a dick. It occurred to me in the shower this morning that I had completely ballsed up the measurements.

I'd taken a piece of line and made knots in it at what I thought were 7m, 7,05m and 7.1m.

What I'd actually done was tied knots at 7m, 7.5m and 8m! So at full stretch I was getting about 7.15m.

Time to start again, less haste more speed.

I shall now take myself outside for a good talking to, sorry for wasting your time.

Re: Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #254

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Do it myself the whole time - I shouldn't worry!

Re: Setting mast rake 6 years 6 months ago #255

Hi Kev,

Get your mast foot in the right place first - as Paul says it should be 1040mm. Mine was wrong & looked similar to yours. I was able to get it in the right position by drilling extra holes in the mast step to move the horizontal bolts forward - ie the foot stays in the same place on the deck.

Having done this and set the rake it meant I could actually point!

Mike.
Blaze 757
Icon 04
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds