Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Newbie confusion on specs

Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 4 months ago #140

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
I'll apologise now, I'm going to have loads of questions over the coming weeks I suspect.

I've bought a MK1 boat that has had some upgrades but I'm not sure where this leaves it and I'm a bit confused by the blurb.

Blaze V1

The first version of the Blaze had a 10.2 sq metre fully battened sail. The main problem with this sail was that in medium and high winds, after a tack or gybe, the power would come on so quickly that it could easily result in a capsize.

In order to make the boat easier to handle, the Class Association brought in some changes in March 2001.

The changes made to the sail and boom were:

lowered the boom on the mast, with increased rake upwards towards the stern
use of carbon boom
redesigned sail - 10 sq metres with full battens at the top of the sail only

The change to partially battened sail means that the power can be spilled from the sail when required, making the boat less challenging in medium to strong winds.

Some changes were also made to the top deck moulding and racks. The stern post was increased in size to allow improve access to the pintel bolts and the design of the racks was changed slightly - with the outer tubes made of carbon.

Blaze V2

This second version of the Blaze was marketed as the 'Blaze X', but is now referred to as the v2

My boat has come with two sails and I've only had one of them out of the bag yet but I believe they're quite similar. It's a Sobstad sail, so not the North one mentioned elsewhere on that page but it does have the half battens lower down like the one mentioned above. It has got the carbon boom.

The mast also has two points for attaching the boom. I thought the previous owner had said the upper point was the new one but the blurb suggests that it should be the lower one that I use. Having said that couple of times I've sailed it I've always attached the boom to the upper mount and I'm not sure the sail tack would reach the boom if lowered.

Is the only other difference between Mk1 and Mk2 the increased stern pot and carbon tubes?

The previous owner also mentioned that there has been a mod to move the mast forward but I can't find any info about that on the site.

Cheers,
Kev
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Kev M.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 4 months ago #144

• TheTallOne
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Kev,

If I'm right in thinking that the two "points" for attaching the boom are very close to each other, than you are right in using the upper one. The lower one was almost certainly fitted to use a "strutted kicker," which was at one time very fashionable in the Blaze and his since fallen out of favour because they are rubbish (great purchase, tiny range). So not to worry, use the upper one and if the lower one really bothers you, take it out and fill in the holes!

As for mk1 vs mk2, having until very recently owned a mk1, here is a quick list of the differences.

Wings: MK2s have carbon outer wings and a different design. Instead of a one piece tube that extends out of the front, bends and slots in to extenders at the back, the mk 2s have a front extending tube that slots over the end of the outer tube and is mirrored aft, giving the whole thing a "swept back" look. MK1s can be upgraded with the same setup for the fore extenders, as this is where they tended to bend.p to

MK2s also came with a different tramp setyuip to mk1s, with the tramps only coming in about two thirds of the way from the wing to the gunnel, rather than all the way in and overlapping. Again, upgrading is very easy, and basically free, as mk1 tramps can be easily cut up to fit.

Foils: MK2s have (I am told) slightly bigger foils, which as far as I can tell makes absolutely no difference at all. Also the rudder setup is much sturdier, mk1 rudder stocks have quite a limited lifespan (1 piece cast alloy, so when it starts to wear around the pintels, there's nothing you can do), but i gather that cirrus are developing a solid replacement at present.

Apart from that they are in essence the same boat. I believe that mk2s came with hatches pre-fitted, but again you can easily do this for a mk1.

Think that's about everything. Do shout if something doesn't make sense!

Re: Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 4 months ago #145

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the reply.

When I get the chance I'll attach the boom at the lower point and see how the sail fits and try and take a photo. I think all of these questions will be easier to explain with photos.

If the aft inboard racks are swept back and therefore pointing forward into the cockpit (I'm sure I'm using all the wrong words) does it create a trip hazard when you're moving around? It's not something I'm thinking of upgrading, if I want to save weight I should look a little closer to home but it's good to know what the different options are.

My tramps have been changed into a netting type so they don't catch the water so much when you dip them in but I think they're the same width/length as the originals.

Is there a best practice for lacing tramps? Mine seem tied up in quite a complicated way so making quick adjustments for different rack settings isn't easy.

Are there any weak points I should look at with regards to preventative maintenance of fittings or attachment points rather than waiting for things to go wrong?

Re: Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 4 months ago #146

Hi Kev,

I have only sailed a MK2 once or twice myself, but the rack at the back doesn't cause a problem at all. Unless you are planning nicely offwind, I find it very unlikely you are back that far anyway.

Also make sure the screws at the inboard end of the rack tube are not wearing through the washer, or possibly creating a problem there. I've let mine go too far and now I've got a right problem on my hands. My starboard rack has been tied in at the front for the past month or so! (Yes, 595 is a bit of a battleship!)

Regards Ben :)
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by BPickering595.

Re: Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 4 months ago #155

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Ben, if possible would you be able to take a photo of the affected area so that I can compare it to mine please?

Re: Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 4 months ago #156

I may be able to later in the week, I will try!
Not sure how you upload them though...

Ben

Re: Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 3 months ago #265

Sorry about the wait, only about 4 times as long as I originally said!
This was about 4 weeks ago where the screw had nearly pulled through and I couldn't get it out because the head had been worn away! Fantastic.

DSCF1916.JPG

Sorry its a bit blurry.
In the end we had to drill the head off and get a pair of mole grips on the rest of it.
But now 595 isn't a battleship! - new netting, screws replaced, holes filled B)

Once again, sorry for the wait, Ben.

Re: Newbie confusion on specs 6 years 2 months ago #320

• Kev M
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Ben. Bought a kit off Mike the other week and replaced them in a few minutes. I was half expecting them to be seized and for me to end up rounding the screw heads off but luckily they all came straight out.
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds