Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Horrible sail shape with kicker or sheet tension

Horrible sail shape with kicker or sheet tension 4 years 4 months ago #1098

Hi All

If I apply mainsheet tension or kicker I get horrible creases from the clew to the mast at the lowest full length batten. I'm using a North sail/carbon mast but it was exactly the same with my M7 mast. I've tried different rig set ups and I've found that keeping the mast straight with a tight rig, spreaders forward, and tight lowers gives the best shape but I still get creases. When it's blowing, with lots of kicker & cunningham upwind, the sail looks horrible. I borrowed a North sail last weekend and it was exactly the same as my own sail. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Regards
Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Horrible sail shape with kicker or sheet tension 4 years 4 months ago #1099

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
It's a bit difficult to advise without more information. You have starvation creases by the sound of it which are caused by the mast bending primarily too much fore and aft for the sail.

The cure is less mast bend, which in turn is achieved by tightening the lowers and shrouds. But it sounds as though you have had a crack at that already.

When set up on the shore without the sail up: 1. What is your rig tension? 2.How tight are your lowers? 3. If you are not using a North what are you using?

Myles 7571

Horrible sail shape with kicker or sheet tension 4 years 4 months ago #1100

Thanks for the speedy reply Myles.
I am using a North sail and I have tried to restrict the fore & aft mast bend.
Details as follows:
Carbon mast (M7 was the same)
Rig tension: 15-20 loos gauge (I know you recommend 15)
Lowers: tight (even with no sail rigged but rig tension on - tight)
Spreaders: As far forwards as they will go

When I had the M7 mast, using the recommended floppy rig, the creases were horrendous with kicker/mainsheet tension applied, so I adopted a tight rig as I found this best. I have seen similar creases on other boats in photographs. I’ve found a picture in the gallery that illustrates my problem:

Blaze inlands 2010 photos (www.blaze-sailing.co.uk/index.php/inform...0blazeinlands-balasc), eleventh photo in (dscf1360), sail number 75.
As you can see, the sail behind the diagonal crease from the clew seems to be falling away.

Regards
Chris

Horrible sail shape with kicker or sheet tension 4 years 4 months ago #1101

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
Chris.

I'm at a loss. I get the message you put across from the photo but the creases in that example might come from the sail simply not being set up correctly and I wouldn't offend you by waffling on about that.

And you had the same on an M7 with tight rig . . . hmm.

How old is your sail?

Without seeing your set up I'm stumped.

Myles
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds