Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: pointing relative to other classes

pointing relative to other classes 4 years 4 months ago #1092

• mcgaw
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi

I sail mainly against Phantoms at Northampton and am continually frustrated that they point so much higher than me. The problem seems to stem from the large head of our sail and the difficulty of holding the leach straight given the bendy nature of the carbon mast. I notice that Rob Jones sails higher, faster and with more twist. Is this magic or a trick I can learn?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

pointing relative to other classes 4 years 4 months ago #1093

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
The carbon mast is a lot more subtle to set up in comparison with the M7 and so we need more information please.

What is your rig tension? Your shrouds need to register 15 on a Loos gauge if you have one/can get hold of one. I can't remember the deflection and my posts on this site giving that information seem to be unavailable.

What is your lowers tension? In all but the heaviest conditions they need to be snug ie no slack.

What is your rake? In my experience the boat will not point adequately inland if the rake is more than 7060mm.

On the wind is your bottom batten in line with the centreline of the boat? If not get your boom more central.

What do you weigh? You will find the large chaps in the fleet have moved their spreaders forward to stiffen the rig.

If you can answer all the above we will narrow it down.

As a by the by I don't know much about Phantoms but they point higher anyway don't they? In a breeze you should foot off underneath them. Myles 7571

pointing relative to other classes 4 years 4 months ago #1094

• mcgaw
  • Fresh Boarder
Myles

Shroud tension is tightish at 63cm with lowers just a tad loose at rest. Spreaders are one hole forward. Rake is 7050 and I am about 90kg.

I beat most of the Phantoms most of the time (except Will Gulliver who is very good). At the Steve Nicholson is was noticable that some Blazes were pointing higher.

Andrew

pointing relative to other classes 4 years 4 months ago #1096

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Andrew

Sounds as though you are on the case.

I suggest more shroud tension 63cm doesn't sound quite enough, absolutely no slack in the lowers, put your mast a knat's knacker more upright, boom nearer the centreline if you can hold it and you will be there.

Myles

pointing relative to other classes 4 years 3 months ago #1112

• Blaze_705
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, last year I sailed a mark 3 Blaze (M7 mast) and was pointing well in all conditions. Thia year I have a converted Mk2, both have rear sheeting. I now have a new North sail but cannot get the mk2 to point. Having read the trail below i think my alloy M7 mast is raked too much, set at 7030mm, do you think it needs moving to 7060mm , I weigh 90kg as well, Dave

blaze 705

pointing relative to other classes 4 years 3 months ago #1113

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
7030 would be suitable rake if the wind was blowing two dogs off the chain simultaneously, get the figures to 7050 and you will be closing the target. Maybe get your boom nearer the centreline when on the wind?

Myles 7571

pointing relative to other classes 4 years 3 months ago #1114

• Blaze_705
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks Myles will try that at the weekend, Dave
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds