Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Carbon mast kicker strop

Carbon mast kicker strop 4 years 4 months ago #1080

I'm in the process of rigging a carbon mast. How do I set up the kicker strop that was supplied (mast foot end). I'd be grateful for pointers.

Chris (679)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Carbon mast kicker strop 4 years 4 months ago #1081

• TheTallOne
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Chris,

PLease see the attached. it isn't a great photo but you can see the strop in it.

To rig, do as follows.

Thread the two small loop ends of the strop through the bolt provided, then fasten the bolt to the front of the mast step, as if it were going to be holding the mast in place (but in front of it nearer the bow)

This should leave you with a bolt secured in the mast step, with w loop of rope attached to it.

Now, with the loop of rope out of the way, step the mast as usual.

Once stepped, take either side of the loop and pass it around the mast. It won't quite reach (especially the first time), then use a shackle to join the two loop ends to the block of the kicker. Et voila! if you look closely at the photo, that should show it reasonably well.
Attachments:

Carbon mast kicker strop 4 years 4 months ago #1082

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
An alternative is to put another bolt through the mast step aft of the mast and take all your kicker purchases to that. Myles 7571

Carbon mast kicker strop 4 years 4 months ago #1083

Thanks for the replies chaps. I was confused by your answer John until I studied the pic closely and can just make out the strop passing around the front of the mast (I think). It is almost out of the top of the picture. I wonder if there's much movement (and chafe) using this method when the boom is eased onto a reach. I'll give it a go but I might resort to Myles' suggestion (which I had already considered).

Thanks again
Regards
Chris

Carbon mast kicker strop 4 years 4 months ago #1086

• Ian
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Chris,

I changed my Mast foot to the new Selden one, with a kicker take off point attached to it, I then run the spliced kicker from a shaped shackle. It seems to work better in my view that the lash round the mast attempt, as I know Rob has already gone through two strops, my spare included!

Ian
Ian
Blaze 695
Warsash SC

Carbon mast kicker strop 4 years 4 months ago #1087

I like that solution Ian; I'll bear it in mind.
I didn't like the strop (supplied) so I've come off a bolt through the mast step but with a s/s tube (from center of an old block) on the bolt to spread the load. I'll see how this bears up.

Thanks for the replies

Chris

Carbon mast kicker strop 4 years 2 weeks ago #1134

• whizsplash
  • Fresh Boarder
To clarify.

my first strop started to wear. But after closer examination, I realised that it was rubbing on the bottom of the main halyard block.
So after a little adjustment and running it around the bolt in front of the mast again, it no longer chafes.
I did acquire Ian's spare strop from him, just in case. I haven't needed it yet though.
Rob
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds