Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Latest PY numbers

Latest PY numbers 4 years 5 months ago #1069

I see that the Blaze handicap has taken another hit, dropping by 6 to 1026. What bothers me more is the Wayfarer’s has increased by 11 to 1112. They were difficult to beat when their handicap was 1101 - be impossible now.

I thought the Wayfarer, being such an established class, had a reliable handicap. It was last changed in 2010 when it increased by 2 to 1101, and remained unchanged for the next four years. As recently as 2011 the Wayfarer’s handicap was listed as a secondary yardstick defined as:

“Portsmouth Numbers published by the RYA but not as consistently attested as Primary Yardsticks”

Also, the 2000’s (formerly the Laser 2000) handicap has just been increased by 10 to 1100. In 2011 their handicap was listed as a primary yardstick (Most reliable PY numbers enjoyed by boats such as Albacores, Enterprises, GP14s, Fireballs & Lasers, etc.) A primary yardstick is defined as:

“Portsmouth Numbers published by the RYA and well attested by many clubs over several years”

Given that the 2000 had a primary yardstick (very reliable) and the Wayfarer had a secondary yardstick (reliable, but based on less data than a primary yardstick), how can the RYA justify such large changes?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds