Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tuning guide for carbon masts

Tuning guide for carbon masts 4 years 5 months ago #1031

• radioman
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Is it too early for tuning advice to be available for carbon masts?

I have picked up a few ideas here and on the Yahoo group and Simon has given me a few pointers, but any contributions would be gratefully received...

Andy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tuning guide for carbon masts 4 years 5 months ago #1032

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
Dear Andy

I will put my settings up on this site after this weekend and the Datchet Flyer. I would post them up now but have forgotten some items such as mast rake and foot position.

In essence and for my weight (68kg): tight shrouds, 15 on Loos gauge and tight lowers in winds up to 12 knots. Above 12 knots lowers looseish, ease forestay until shrouds are 5 on Loos gauge. Above 20 knots lowers the same, shrouds down to no register on gauge. If you don't have a gauge and most don't this is quite a lot of ease but nothing like as slack as orthodox Blaze M7 settings.

I will give deflections after next weekend when I have had a chance to measure them.

My spreaders are in the standard swept back position (as delivered) and full length. I have tried shortening them and it is not helpfull.

I know heavier people eg Rob Jones have moved their spreaders forward to stiffen the mast and sail with tight lowers and shrouds until above 20 knots, but best they speak for themselves.

Myles 7571

Tuning guide for carbon masts 4 years 5 months ago #1033

• radioman
  • Administrator
Thanks, Myles.

I am hoping to pick up my Blaze from Mike on Christmas Eve.

Andy

Tuning guide for carbon masts 4 years 5 months ago #1037

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Dear Andy

Here are my carbon mast rig settings.

I am light 68kg, Up to 12kts of breeze my settings are probably very similar to heavier helms with the exception that a number have moved their spreaders forward; mine remain on the standard swept setting as delivered. I do not recommend shortening the spreaders, I have been there and it is not fast. Above 12kts I ease the forestay, those heavier will ease later or possibly not bother at all.

Up to 12kts: Shrouds 15 on Loos gauge or 640mm*
Lowers tight.

12 - 20kts: Shrouds 10 on Loos or 655mm*
Lowers 460mm*

20kts+ Shrouds: 5 on Loos or 670mm*
Lowers 460mm*

Mast rake: 7050mm. Distance of mast foot to stemhead fitting: 1040mm (same as for M7).

* The measurement here is deflection and is surprisingly accurate if you do not have a Loos gauge (and most don't!). With one hand hold the end of a tape measure to the gooseneck fitting on the mast. Use your other hand to both hold the tape reel and pull a shroud away from the mast as hard as you can, as you would draw a bow and arrow. Measure the distance against the shroud, that is your rig tension reading. Remember to draw the measure horizontally ie at right angles to the mast.

Measure the lowers in the same way. Because of their acute angle this method is not so accurate but perhaps better than describing them as "slack".

Good sailing.

Myles 7571

Tuning guide for carbon masts 4 years 4 months ago #1042

• radioman
  • Administrator
Thanks, Myles.

I was hoping to put the settings into practice for my first race in 809 today.

Unfortunately, flooding, a lck of power at the clubhouse and a lack of wind (!) meant no sailing.

Andy

Tuning guide for carbon masts 4 years 4 months ago #1043

• radioman
  • Administrator
Silly question - but I take it that the measurements were all taken with a bare mast (i.e. sail off)?

Tuning guide for carbon masts 4 years 4 months ago #1044

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Yes bare mast. Myles
The following user(s) said Thank You: radioman
Time to create page: 0.706 seconds