Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #759

• Richard665
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, I thought I'd introduce myself here as it says to do so!

I'm from Waterlooville near Portsmouth, I've just purchased 665 from kent and have taken her to a new home sailing out of Hayling Island's Mengeham Rythe Sailing Club.
I've been sailing a Laser 4000 for the last year after returning to sailing after a 16 year gap! However due to crew availability etc I decided to get a single hander as well and after some thought the Blaze seemed a great choice.

I've had it out a few times already and so far so good. Only thing is that it needs about a force 4 to be able to sit out on the racks so may consider bringing them in to the inner setting.

One thing I may think about is to get another sail so if anyone knows of a good north sail that is 2-3 years old then I'd be happy to hear from you.

Thanks, Richard
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #760

• Cirrus
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Richard

MRSC had an early Blaze fleet years ago and even hosted Nationals with up to 44 entries ! The fleet drifted to other clubs over time but many of us liked the club and would look forward to going there agian if a fleet grew.

As fo a sail - I'm sure you will get some replies. We have one 'cosmetic second' new North and one Ex-demo one available but I guess you might be looking for a bit of a bargain at this stage. Best thing is to attend an event - any Blaze supporte one will do and you will get s lots of help and guidance / support. 665 is an early Mk2 - these ones were particularly good and if sorted do prove very competitive.

Cheers - Mike L (Cirrus)

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #761

• stevewingrove654
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Richard

Welcome to the class. Iam a relative newcomer to the Blaze but wow what a great boat to sail in particular in a blow. I dont know if you will be the only Blaze at your club ?? but Mike is right you must attend a Blaze event. I was very wary at first but "bit the bullet" and did the Inlands at Bala last year and both the inlands and nationals this year.The one thing I will say about the guys in the class is this no matter what your ability there is always someone to race against with in the fleet and the racing will be competative. All the guys are friendly and will always help with boat set up and sailing tips. The social scene is something else in particular when the Welsh guys attend events.
It is the only way to improve the way you sail the Blaze.Again welcome to the class and maybe see you at the Nationals in Paignton

Regards

Steve Wingrove 654

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #762

• Roger C
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Richard and welcome to the blaze fleet

I sail at Warsash which is not too far from you and we have a fleet of nearly 20 blazes, perhaps you can come over and join us for some racing sometime next year.

In the meantime I'd be happy to sell my North sail which has had 3 years of Wednesday evening summer racing use. I work in Havant so could take it to the office if you want a look?

I'd be looking for about £275 for it........
731 - join the growing Warsash Blaze fleet

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #764

• Richard665
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mike,
I'd heard MRSC had a fleet a while back, shame it is no more! The Finn's, Contender's and Solo's seem to be popular there at the moment so I might try a few races with them to see how I get on.
As for the sail, I currently have two Sobstad which came with the boat athough have different sail numbers so assume they are originals (665 & 684). £600 is a little too much to consider right now for a new (ish) one so you are right, I shall look more towards a bargain.
Thanks
Richard

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #765

• Richard665
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Steve,
Yes I am the ony Blaze so I may well think about joining up with some other Baze owners next year. I think I too would be very wary about just turning up somewhere without knowing anyone or the local waters but I guess you don't gain anything by not taking chances in life! Good to hear you had good experiences so far.
Thanks
Richard

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #766

• Richard665
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Roger,
I was just looking at the Warsash Sailng Club site, I see you're at number one on the list (which must mean something)! There is a good fleet of Blaze's so I may well join you one day assuming it is easy enough to turn up as a visitor to sail.

As for the sail, yes I am interested however I'm in no rush. Is it the original that came with 731. How would you rate the condition of the sail? I'd be happy to take a look at it if it is no problem you taking it to work. I also work in Havant at Wartsia (Deep Sea Seals) up near Lewmar and Tesco although off using up holiday right now so could meet you at your convenience next week.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Richard

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #767

• Roger C
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Richard, no 1 just means I was first to fill in my registration document this year! We'd be pleased to welcome you along for a sail as a visitor and can organise temporary membership if you want to race with us for a few weeks.

I'm working overseas this week but will get in touch when I'm back so we can meet up once lunchtime in Havant for you to view the sail. It's not the original, was purchased in 2010 I think and is in good condition

Best regards

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #772

Hi
I bought 665 new and it spent the first few years of its life at Burghfield with the occasional holiday to Rock. It might even have beaten both Mike Lyons and Steve Cockerill when they were locked in battle and looking the other way!

Enjoy the boat but don't bring the racks in: get used to moving about on the boat - its not simply in or out.

Failing that, lose some weight or buy my unused halo rig - it's still for sale!

Good Luck

Roger Williams
762 & 684

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 9 months ago #773

• Richard665
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Roger W,
Good to know where it came from.
I am enjoying the boat and had a great sail earlier this week. I'm getting used to it now and happier with the racks where they are - fully extended. Moving about is becoming more natural.

Thanks
Richard

New Blaze Owner Sailing in Chichester Harbour 5 years 7 months ago #810

• Roger C
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Richard, sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Would you like to view the sail in Havant one day next week? You can contact me on 07918 690913
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds