Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Going through the gears as the wind increaces.

Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 5 years 8 months ago #654

• Abitlight
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all

This is a call for views on what to do as the wind increaces when you ar going up wind. Ive just checked an i weigh in at 64kgs so up to 7 knots everything is as norma,l no kicker, slackish outhaul, no cunningham. Once we get above this i use kicker bend mast to flatten the main and stop the boom heading skywards when i dump power BUT this seems to keep the roach too tight giving too much drive high up. This tends to lead to pinching in my case and going slowly.
Should I be going for cunninghan eye early on to put some twist in? or am I using too much kicker?

Currently I am a bit tired and confused after a good sail yesterday

Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 5 years 8 months ago #657

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2
Paul

Is your rig set up similar to mine? Assuming yes: sounds like your lowers are a bit tight. Try easing them a just a bit. Also try easing rig tension, again just a little.This should make her feel sweeter but may affect your ability to point - if not you are on the case - if it does try and get your boom nearer the centreline (I am still assuming wind is less than 12knots)..

Myles

Re: Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 5 years 8 months ago #658

• Abitlight
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Myles

After reading your notes a while ago I cut 4cm off my spreaders and they are down to 307 cm or less, rake 7060mm, tension 69cm, lowers fairly slack.
I guess what you are suggesting is slacken the lowers a bit more, allowing more bend from kicker which will open the roach some more. Do you use cunningham below 12knots?
I shall experiment with the rig tension as well as I am sure i have not found the sweet spot yet, 70cm seems really slack but I'll give it a go.

I find the blaze rig setup confusing having come from a fireball with 27mm prebend set by 400lbs rig tension. Watching the blaze lee shroud spinning in the breeze is a bit unnerving. I note that the M7 was also used as a fireball mast where it was considered a bit on the stiff side ! I havent noticed my blaze mast reacting to gusts much, could be a bit old and work hardend i guess.

Thanks for all the help Myles

Paul

Re: Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 5 years 8 months ago #659

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
Spreader length sounds good and I assume you have a similar deflection (to my notes). Play around with rig tension and the lowers. I would start to pull on a little cunningham at 12kts and quite a lot of kicker also I am beginning to pull the foot out.

How tight are your battens?

By about 17kts I have max kicker (boom just above the horizontal), max cunningham, foot with not much flow in it, max loose rig tension (69/70cm), loose lowers. Playing the mainsheet is critical easing a smidgen in the gusts and bearing off etc. Avoid feathering up - play the main.

The mast is V stiff and if you are used to prebend the slack rigging will take some getting used to. The M7 has bend characteristics similar to a telegraph pole and so one is playing around supporting it as little as possible to get the b-thing to bend. Spreader length and rake is critical, I would not suggest you go shorter on the spreaders but if after a bit you cannot find a sweet spot rake the spreaders more.

Re: Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 5 years 8 months ago #660

• Abitlight
  • Fresh Boarder
Checked my rig tension last night 69/70cm so i'll leave that and try adjusting the lowers a bit more. Never thought about battern tension, maybe i will ease the top ones a bit. I do ues the outhaul when the breeze is up.
Also try to sail flatter and don't pinch

Thanks for the help Myles

Paul

Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 5 years 3 months ago #865

• Stewart
I've just noticed this post. It was actually published before I bought my Blaze so I'm no expert but I have to say it sounds like you need more downhaul (Cunningham) this opens the leach and stops that horrible "screwing up into the wind in the gusts" feeling. If all the other boats I've sailed mean anything you should be able to drive more through the gusts and keep the speed up.

Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 4 years 3 months ago #1061

• Stewart609
Well I've looked at this again now that I've had over a year in the Blaze. I reckon it was good advice.

But you talk about letting the top twist off. Well it will in any kind of wind but the idea is to apply so much kicker and downhaul that the top of the sail goes flat - it is then just feathering and contributing very little heeling force.

If you were to ease the kicker the top will twist more but not be flat and that is not good because then when you sheet in (or get a gust) it you suddenly get loads of power. Ideally then its, masses of kicker, flat top section and then it is much easier to modulate the power.

In summary - you may not be using enough kicker and in addition use an eye popping heave on the downhaul.

Would any real experts like to confirm, or disagree.

Going through the gears as the wind increaces. 4 years 3 months ago #1062

• Myles Mence
  • Banned
This conversation was from one lightweight to another on how to tune the rig with the alloy mast. If you are light then the settings are relevant as they are all about de-powering in 12kts and above. If you weigh more than 11 stone then treat the advice with caution. Myles
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds